Chelsea Lumber: Company History
Chelsea Lumber has been a bedrock of the community for nearly a century. We have proudly served homeowners and building contractors for just short of 100 years.
Our company dates to 1908, and has been owned in all or in part by the Daniels family since the 1920s. We opened our doors as Chelsea Lumber, Grain & Coal Co. on January 2, 1926. Our headquarters then was a three-story brick building at the corner of Main Street and the railroad tracks, now the site of Chelsea Milling Co., makers of Jiffy Mix.
Bob Daniels, our president and one of four current co-owners, began working here part-time, shoveling coal, while a student at Chelsea High School in the 1940s. In those days, our company’s motto was “Where the Home Begins,” and it remains so to this day.
In 1952, responding to shifts in our customers’ needs, we changed our name to Chelsea Lumber Co. Since then our services have steadily grown to make us the one-stop resource for a full range of materials, supplies, and services for home building and improvement. We’re the place to get the best materials and the most expert advice if you’re a “do-it-yourself” homeowner or professional contractor in the area.